So it begins. Lean January – A new year and all the resolutions that come with it.
Supermarkets are full of offers on low fat food as people try to shift that extra weight. Gyms advertise their “new year new you” specials. Shops are full of clearance deals as they make room for new stock.
January is a month no longer than any other with 31 days and yet it feels like an eternity as the purse recovers from the bashing it took the previous month.
When payday finally arrives it feels like a delicious melt in your mouth chocolate and usually lasts as long too!
So here are my top tips and tricks for the new year.
1. If you don’t need it, don’t buy it. Sales are a great way to save money but not if the purchase is unnecessary.
2. Have a little clean up of those direct debits and make sure that you are still getting value for YOUR money.
3. Make a note of when insurances are due (car, house, travel etc) and shop around for better deals.
4. Use cashback websites to cash in on those things that you are buying anyway eg I got £75 cashback on a broadband purchase I was making anyway.
5. Start a present box – buy little bits and pieces each week/ month and add to the box so when birthdays, or unexpected events happen then you are prepared and can go ahead without the additional expense.
It also helps to have a small stock of cards (buy local and handmade) which can then be handwritten with a personal message. Use the sales to get started if you are getting a bargain.
6. Make sure you are getting a good deal on your electricity supplier. Don’t be afraid to chop and change. Loyalty no longer seems to be something that relax rewards.
7. Batch cook or cook cheap, hearty meals that can be re-served or used for lunches. This includes stew, soups, bolognaise, lasagne, chilli etc and remember red lentils are an amazing way to bulk out meat dishes. Try going meat free as a way to cut expense. Frozen fruit and veg are an inexpensive way to add variety to dishes.
8. Spring clean. Clear out your wardrobe, the kids toys, even the attic and make some cash using sites such as eBay, gumtree schpock to make some new year cash. Remember one persons junk is another’s treasure 🤣
9. Continue the family theme and spend time with the family at home. Saving money on eating out or hefty socialising spending by have a home game night with a fakeaway (home made takeaway)
10. Be happy. Remember you are in charge of your own happiness so start the year as you mean to go on. Mend relationships that matter and delete toxic ones.
I’m off to get my list started on my new year plans 😊
Roll on 2018 we are ready for you!